Monday, November 17, 2008

Crime Does Not Pay

Raanana, our sleepy town, has its share of celebrities. Today, we have one less. Yakov Alperon, notorious crime boss, head of the deadly Alperon Family, was blown up while driving his car in Tel Aviv this afternoon. He lived down the road from us on HaShahar Street. I particularly love this quote from the Haaretz website.

Alperon had many enemies, including convicted drug lord
Zeev Rosenstein - who himself has survived at least seven
assassination attempts - and the rival Abutbul and Abergil
families, with whom the Alperons battled over a lucrative
bottle-recycling racket.

Even the criminals in Israel are green. Who would have thought that turf wars would be fought over bottle-recycling. So while here in Israel, 80% is the order of the day for many things, crime is certainly not one of them. Bwo (get used to this abbreviation for blackwifeo) happen to be driving in TA just about when it happened and was lucky to miss the incident by a few minutes. Here is a nice picture of the aftermath:



4 comments:

Derek Wall said...

Your town is now famous!

The worry has been that recycling prices were falling with the recession but obviously still worth fighting for...

Scarlet said...

I'm very sorry to use you as a message service, but I haven't seen Blacksono for a day or so and I'm a mite concerned. Can you tell him I said Hi and that I was asking after him? I noticed you hadn't posted anything about anything terrible happening to him, so I'm guessing he's ok and my timing is lousy.

blackpetero said...

Hey Derek, I do not understand how the bottle recycling business can turn into a mafia run enterprise. But anything is possible in Israel.

Scarlet, I seem to remember bso (the black son o) buying a new game, maybe he is two timing his COH crew.

Scarlet said...

As long as he's ok, it's all good.

Well, mostly. Obviously, I will be having words about his commitment issues :)

Thanks for the update, hope you're well.