Wednesday, November 25, 2009

College

My cousins complained that on the days I don't post it messes with their routine. I got home last night and went straight into helping the boy with his college application. Then I collapsed in bed, only to spend the night fighting (and losing) with a pesky mosquito. The deadline for the UC schools is next Monday, and of course, the boy left his application to the last minute. Getting irritated with him for not being sure what he wanted to study - a serious conflict, the answer lying somewhere between computers and film, I had a flashback of sorts. I remember when I first came to Israel and studied at the Technion. Like yesterday, I sat looking at those application forms (on paper, not online) trying to decide what to study. I picked aeronautical engineering, because not only did it sound cool but I liked building model airplanes. Bad mistake. After two years of material science and differential equations (something I grew to love in my second go around at college) I bailed and joined the other lay abouts in Jerusalem. Then came the record shop, and work in basement of the computer industry before I dared go back to school. So I understand how tough it is to make a decision on a college major when you have no idea what you want to be when you are big.

I suppose this is another right of passage we go through with our kids, like watching them learn to ride a bike and perform in public for the first time. Good luck boy, I hope you get what you want - I don't care what you choose, just try be excellent at it.

No comments: