Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Wonders

It's been a tough few weeks here in squintland. Layoffs are happening all over the world and good people are now out looking for jobs. Of course, those of us on this side of the ocean are still waiting to hear our fate, although I am not optimistic. So it's been a stressful time for all. Bwo is off with her San Diego family in sunny California, and it snowed here yesterday. I know I should be down and depressed, but honestly, I am fine. Change is good and maybe it's about that time for us.

On top of it all I started watching Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe on Netflix while lazing around last weekend. I was a little disappointed with all the CG and "pyrotechnics" at first but by the second episode I was hooked. There is nothing like huge existential questions like "Why are we here and where do we come from" to put this short stay on earth into proportion. The immense size, diversity and age of our universe is just so mind boggling that the every day issues like employment seem to pale in comparison. I have since watched his Wonders of Life and started on the Wonders of the Solar System last night. These have really helped keep me grounded. 

2 comments:

arnieo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
arnieo said...

I listen to Morning Edition on NPR for my drive into work. This morning your squint central was featured. http://www.npr.org/2016/04/27/475848906/intel-layoffs-are-significant-in-oregon-the-state-s-largest-private-employer